Thursday 16 January 2014

DIY Birthday Cards!

There's something special about receiving something that's been homemade. Rather than buying a card that so many people will receive, I thought I'd try making a birthday card for my best friend's 21st. I'd seen a lot of inspiration from Pinterest so decided to give it a go.



The things I used are:

White card (for the card itself!)
Coloured paper- I chose pink and orange
Birthday candles
Pritt stick
Gift ribbon
Highlighters
Metallic pens
A pencil!


I started with the main part of the card- the candles! I did this first so the glue would have the longest to dry whilst I worked on the other parts of the card and envelope.

Once I had positioned where I wanted the candles to go, all I did was glide each candle across the top of the Pritt stick to gather enough glue and place down.



Once they are all done, just leave them to dry and move on to decorating the envelope.




I decorated the envelope in the style of a present. Cards can always look a bit bland, so why not have some fun with decorating them?



Next we're going to move on to the flames of the candles. Lightly draw the shape onto the card if you want to colour them in. Alternatively, you can cut out some small flame shape from orange paper and stick them onto the card. This is what I ended up doing.



Then you'll be left with something like this...


Next onto the message. Again, lightly write out your message and correct any mistakes you make or even if you don't like the style of a cursive you have written. 


Once you're happy, go over the writing with a metallic pen in a colour of your choice. I went with pink because this is my best friend's favourite colour. 


I went a little step further and added some more gold ribboning to the two sides of the card, just to give it a little extra oomph. Plus, it also now matches the envelope!


Here is the finished look! I also added an extra heart in the same material as the wrapping paper.


What do you guys think? What other homemade items have you made for friends or family?

I think homemade gifts/cards add a very personal touch to any present and this card was greatly appreciated by my friend. I think it was the amount of pink that did it for her ha! :)

Thank you for reading this post and see you in the next one!

Paris x


No comments:

Post a Comment