Friday 11 July 2014

Fitness Friday #2: Dinner & Dessert Under 550 Calories!

As well as a love for make-up and fashion, I have a very hearty love for food and cooking. This stems from years of being fed good food from my Mum. She is a wonderful cook who loves experimenting with different recipes and flavours. She makes a rather delicious chilli con carne and very famous bruschetta- my friends love it and she makes it especially for them when we visit. I did actually film a vlog of her showing how she makes it which you can watch here (it's quite an old vlog so prepare for some shaky filming haha!) I guess I have inherited this same love for experimentation. In my food. A love for solely experimentation could be perceived somewhat differently haha.


When it comes to food, I generally go for more red meats like beef etc. However, on this new healthy lifestyle I'm on, red meat isn't the healthiest of protein choices I could be making and have gone back to chicken. I usually like chicken but do not love it. I find it can be very flavour-less and bland. To add some flavour to my chicken, I concocted (great word) a rather tasty marinade that consisted of the following:

2 tbsp of vegetable/sunflower oil
1 tbsp of tamari
1 crushed clove of garlic
1 good shaking of paprika
1 tsp of mixed herbs
and another good shaking of black pepper

I then added my 2 chicken breasts making sure each side was well covered in the marinade and I left it to soak in all those flavours for around 45 mins to 1 hour. Of course you can leave it for longer as I normally would but I just didn't have the time. It still packed a lot of flavour though so don't worry if you're pushed for time like me.

Instead of pan frying, I popped the chicken underneath the grill for about 14 minutes in total (7 minutes on each side) and sliced through the middle to ensure it was all cooked and there was no pink left. Salmonella is no fun so any hint of pink means more time in the heat.

Whilst that was cooking, I boiled some water and threw in a cup of frozen peas. These were done by the time the chicken was done so timing was on point. Try and refrain from slathering on butter onto your peas, its unnecessary calories you don't need. Buttery peas are nice on a Christmas dinner, not on your weekly meal.

Everything done and dished up and you should have a little something like this...

Looks good right? And it's only 376 calories!

Now onto dessert which is a recent favourite of mine. I'm not normally one for cereal at all (I was more of a marmite on toast kind of girl back in the day) but I've really been loving Cheerios with soya milk and fruit. I made the switch to soya milk from semi skimmed cow's milk a few days ago and I LOVE it. It's much sweeter than cow's milk but it is less creamy. 


With my cheerios, soya milk and some cut up strawberries, I enjoyed a rather delicious dessert that was just over 150 calories! God, I love eating healthy and I don't feel like I am starving myself at all. I'm still able to enjoy something sweet in the evenings without feeling guilty amongst a mountain of Daim bar wrappers. 

I hope this post hasn't made you too hungry but gives you some ideas on how to spice up a piece of chicken or how to satisfy that sweet tooth whilst trying to be as healthy as possible!

Let me know what you think and of course any recipes you have tried that you really enjoy!

Thank you for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment