Friday 18 July 2014

Fitness Friday #3: How To Get Motivated For The Gym!

Having been going to the gym regularly for about 3 months now, I have come to understand and experience for myself the peaks and lulls in working out. I like to go to the gym 2-3 times a week and work for about an hour. I absolutely love and relish the times where I feel really energetic and am powering through my workouts very sweaty but not like I'm going to pass out. I feel great afterwards and this gives me a massive confidence boost. However, there are times when I really don't want to go to the gym or when I'm there, I just don't have the energy to go hard like I usually do. This is both tiring and frustrating. 

Here are my (realistic) tips for staying motivated with your workouts...

Tip 1: Pinterest

Like the digital kid I am, I go to the internet. You know how much I love Pinterest and you can look at all my boards here. Pinterest is full of health and fitness tips, tricks and most importantly, motivation. All you have to do is type in 'gym motivation' and you are presented with a plethora of quotes and pictures psyching you up for your next workout. I've included one of my favourite motivational quotes here for you and why I love it...

This is a very encouraging quote for me. There are a load of magazine articles that claim to 'BANISH', 'BURN' and 'SHRED' your extra pounds, love handles or bingo wings. That's a little too aggressive for me. Now, this may sound a little preach-like but I believe you should love your body and want to 'SHAPE', 'PERFECT' and 'FINESSE' it to its best potential. "Workout because you love your body, not because you hate it", such a positive and motivating outlook. 

Tip 2: Keep track of your progress

There is honestly nothing more rewarding than seeing your weight loss written down in front of you. Be it in a journal or on a graph, it's a big deal. After my first month of working out, I lost a stone. Yes, a whole 14lbs! As well as being elated, I realised too that the reason why that weight literally fell off of my body is because it wasn't supposed to be there. So with that significant weight loss under my belt, I could believe that I can really shape my body and become healthier. Once you start to see results, it just spurs you on to maintain that through toning or to carry on to achieving your goal weight. 

Tip 3: Plan your workouts

If you go to the gym without a clear idea of what you want to do, you won't push yourself to your ultimate goal. Jot down on your phone a clear and realistic work out routine that you can power through and that gets your heart rate going and that sweat dripping! 

My work out routine still needs some adjusting as I need to work harder and sweat more but here it is for a rough outline. It's also a good idea to set specific days/evenings to working out. So you could go on a Monday evening to get your week started and release some of the stress of Mondays, Wednesdays to keep you on track and then Saturday morning to make sure you keep on track for the weekend but have Sunday as a rest day to chill out and even have a naughty roast dinner at your local pub!

So there are my top 3 tips for getting motivated for the gym! Tell me what yours are in the comments!

Thank you for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment